Monday 10 April 2017

9th – 10th of April – Departure

There was nothing special or remarkable about the trip south; everything went as planned – departure from Copenhagen at 2230, layover in Doha for 2½ hours and arrival in Kampala around 1330.

On the second flight a girl was sitting a few seats away (she was A, I was C) I couldn’t help think it would be quite a coincidence if she was also part of the tour – she looked like one that would fit with the general person I have gotten used to meeting on the tours I have been doing throughout the years. But arriving I was the only one that was brought out to the car. Leaving the airport, though, my driver told me that 4-5 people were on the flight for the tour.

It felt a bit weird they wouldn’t take multiple people in the car (it wouldn’t be impossible to fit 2 + luggage) but that was up to them. 40km and 2 hours later we arrived at the hotel. As the truck and therefore tents hadn’t arrived yet I camped out in the reception.

Less than 15 minutes later the girl from the plane arrived also having had a private pickup – in her case she got a full minibus all by herself. And yes – she was also part of the tour. We sat talking for an hour or so until the truck arrived and she mentioned in passing that she also had had the feeling that I might have been part of the tour when seeing me on the flight.

The truck arrived, we found tents and tent mates and we were soon settled and relaxed. Dinner was had, and we introduced ourselves to each other. This trip is just a small part of a greater tour that for some in the group started in Cape Town which meant that they have been on the road for almost 40 days. The rest of the evening was spent on talking, trying to remember names and getting (mentally) ready for the breakfast at 0600 tomorrow.

Sunset the first night in Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment