Monday 12 August 2019

London calling

Training for a marathon requires a fair bit of running before crossing the start line (yeah, you can’t go from couch potato to marathon without training – shocking, I know). So I’ve been spending a fair bit of time getting to know the area around my apartment quite well. It does get a bit repetitive at times and sometimes you just want some kind of variation to try and make things a bit interesting. 

I regularly run a half marathon just for practice purposes and try to find half marathon races I can implement into my training to get a much needed break in the otherwise quite monotonous routine of running in familiar surroundings. And when I find one that fits me it’s hard not to sign up – even if it isn’t necessarily just around the corner.

11th – 14th of October
Fly out early (early!) in the morning to London, giving me most of the Friday in the city, followed by a relaxing Saturday before participating in the Royal Parks Half Marathon, the route starting and ending in Hyde Park and circling around through The Green Park and St. James’ Park (and a bit further out to Somerset House). A relaxing run before I Monday evening fly back home.

The run is squeezed in between my Berlin and New York marathons so will mainly be for recreational purposes. I probably won’t be able to not push myself a bit, but my focus will be to using the race to recuperate and keeping myself mobile until the next race. A few people have hinted the risk of burn out with so many races in close succession and I am fully aware of that (CPH half, 2 weeks later Berlin, 2 weeks later this and 3 weeks later New York) which is why this won’t be one where I’ll be pushing myself. And also, if I had been staying home, my running route would likely have been longer than the 21,1km anyway. In any case we’ll just have to wait and see…

No comments:

Post a Comment