Sunday 13 October 2019

13th – 14th – Post-run and returning home

After getting out of the shower back in my hotel room (which, by the way, I had spent together with my running shoes which were in much need of a thorough rinse) and trying to get my legs working again, I left the hotel a bit past noon to try and find some lunch. Successfully filled with delicious burger I had a short walk before returning to my room and had a very much needed rest for the legs.

In the evening we met up for dinner – at a local Italian restaurant (not the same as the one I visited last night). The food was pretty great, but the interior of the restaurant was something else. Imagine someone walking along a beach and finding several galleons and deciding to use the ships to decorate. It was just a single floor but balconies down along the sides and at the end made room for more tables, with small cubbies underneath these. On the way there I was told to remember to go to the bathroom while there. I first thought it was due to the low quality of food, but when entering the bathroom I saw the walls were covered in detailed… adult… imagery. Not something I had expected to see on my visit there. 

The restaurant was quite peculiar... 


... and the bathroom even more so.



Leaving the restaurant after the successful meal we returned to the hotel, and as the weather was still very nice (as in: dry) I grabbed my camera and returned to Tower Bridge in an attempt to get some better shots than the other night in the rain. Things ended up being much more relaxed this time – funny how that is when you don’t have to constantly stop everything you’re doing to dry off the lens while still trying to keep everything as dry as possible. After a good few hours in the area I finally made it back to the hotel at 0200.

Tower of London.

London Bridge.

Tower Bridge with flashy lights.

The Shard and moon.

I managed to sleep in Monday morning and had a full breakfast at the hotel before checking out just before 1100. I didn’t do much but an aimless wander around – passed by 221B Baker Street but it just being a museum/shop looking like a tourist trap I kept walking past. I ended up returning to Paddington Station and taking the train back to the airport where I spent a few hours in the lounge before boarding and flying home according to schedule.

Overall this was a really nice trip and run. I should probably have rested a bit more after the run than I did – walking about for so long was not something that made me good friends with my legs, especially not after pushing myself as I did during the run. The route exceeded my expectations, I really enjoyed it and the locations we passed by, but I’m probably a bit biased due to my result and the fact that it was the only day during the trip it kept dry almost the entire day, giving us close to perfect running weather. It was definitely a great experience.

Full album can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment