Sunday 20 May 2018

20th – Stained glass

After getting up and having had breakfast – once again cutting it close to closing time – I checked up on the opening hours for the cathedral at the castle. According to what I read it would close at 1500 so I decided to start the day there to be sure I’d make it before it would be too late.

Once again I entered the queue to get into the castle around 1100 and half an hour later I was let through. I walked over to the cathedral and stepped into another queue, this one very short. And waited. And nothing happened. Looking around I saw a sign and realized that I had been planning based on info for the wrong day. It wouldn’t open until 1300 so I left and instead decided to spend my time to go into the tower.

The 286 steps up the narrow spiral staircase took one right past the space where the bells were mounted and being there at 1200 we got to see – and hear! – them in full action. The view from the top was great, especially because there wasn’t much of a haze today.

As mentioned; really close to the bells.

View from the tower.

Beautiful window spotted on the way down.

I returned down and exited at around 1310 and saw a line of people pass by the door. I quickly realized it was the queue of people waiting to get into the cathedral and having nothing else planned here I added myself to the rear of the queue. The entry was in the front to the left and I queued up near the front to the right – but the queue went all the way around the rear of the cathedral. There was no standstill, though, we were always moving, and half an hour later I was the next to walk through the entrance. It was also half an hour of keeping an eye on people who “totally know those people in front of you!” or “oh, I thought this was the end of the line and I totally didn’t see the hundreds behind you!”. People’s complete lack of respect for others still surprise me. Fuckers.

After all that waiting one could worry that it would be a huge anti-climax seeing the cathedral from the inside, but I’ll admit I thought it was very impressive. Beautifully stained glass and generally very impressive word done with the construction made the wait and return to the castle worth it. More than an hour later I exited and went for a short stroll in the castle’s gardens before leaving the castle grounds for good.

Entering the cathedral.

Stained glass! 

More stained glass!

MORE!






I love the fact that there was enough sun that the stained glass colored the walls. 

I started walking south following the river until I reached castle Vyšehrad where I had a short walk around. Nothing remotely as magnificent or impressive as the other place but still quite nice. When leaving I realized that a recommended restaurant was just around the corner so I decided to chance it despite not having a booking. I went down there and only had to wait a few minutes before being seated. Goat’s cheese in filo salad, port ribs and coconut cake with chocolate was a nice end to the day.

A small canal.

Inside the basilica at Vyšehrad Castle.

  
Leaving I walked back north towards the Old Town again. I had found out that the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe is buried in Church for our Lady Tyn located just next to the town square. The church is open 3+2 hours every day – and I obviously arrived too late to get in today. The door was open, though, so I snuck in to have a look; it was only moments before a mass started and all photography was banned. Every day except Mondays (tomorrow) – in that case it would be closed. My disappointment was real.

Sunset at the river.

The astronomical clock was being renovated so a meager digital replacement was all I got to see.

I went back down to the river trying to get some more night shot of the castle cathedral and Charles bridge before returning to my hotel around 2300.



No comments:

Post a Comment