Friday 9 September 2022

French silliness

With 3 half marathons and 1 marathon planned for the coming two moths one would think that I'll be getting enough running for a lifetime. But I have nothing planned for next year so I've been feeling the need to plan something for then. And with these thoughts churning I saw an ad for Paris marathon next year in April, which sounded very interesting. Also, if I'll be hit by extreme luck and have my spot at London moved this run won't interfere. In any case, London will be taking priority regardless, so I'd happily cancel other plans if I got to do London sooner than originally planned.

So seeing no downsides (apart from the running part) I ended up booking a spot at the Paris marathon. 

30th of March - 1st of April
Flying out to Paris in the early morning which means I will have most of the day in the city. I expect to go to the Expo already on the Thursday to get it over and done with, and as they don't open until in the afternoon on the first day I'll have plenty of time to get there before I'll even be able to get in. Also, on the Saturday (the 1st) I've signed up for the breakfast run which goes from near the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower where breakfast will be served. Other than that I'll spend time checking out the sights and generally just being a classic tourist.

2nd of April
Race day - start and finish will be on opposite sides of the Arc de Triomphe, both near a metro station that will take me directly to and from my hotel at Montmartre. The course will go east and circle around in the Vincennes Woods and return almost parallel (but separate) from the start of the course, before reaching Notre Dame where we'll be following the Seine until circling around the Auteuil racetrack and head back north to the Arc and finish. Apparently this run is second to only New York marathon when it comes to number of participants.

3rd of April
Got a flight home in the early afternoon, so if I can get a late-ish checkout at the hotel it means I can spend the morning relaxing doing nothing before having to go to the airport, resting my legs which they'd probably appreciate.

Historical weather data seems to imply that the weather can be very variable in the beginning of April in Paris. As in one day it can be around freezing and the next day it could be 10°C-15°C. So with two running days I might have to bring all kinds of clothes with me, just in case. It'll be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment