Friday 13 February 2015

12th – 13th – Coming home and afterthoughts

The trip home was without a hitch. We didn’t have a too early morning at the hotel before departure; the flight was on time so we had a few hours at Santiago before getting the plane that took us to Madrid. There we had almost 5 hours but Preben had access to a VIP lounge and bought us all access. So we had a few hours resting with free food, drinks and internet. I could really get used to that. From there we had only a few hours on the last stretch before finally coming home from a long and arduous trip.

Despite not reaching the summit the trip was a very enjoyable one. Part of that was the beautiful scenery we passed through, and part of it was the group itself. Big thanks to Bo (again? again!), Jesper, Preben, Ole, Jakup and Dina, and the guides Juan Carlos, Pablo, Gustavo and Jorge for being awesome company and making the trip extra memorable.

Being now, 5 weeks after returning from the trip I have had a bit of time to think things over. It’s the first climb I have been on where I haven’t reached the summit, and now, as time has passed, I’m not quite sure how to feel about it. The trip was amazing, and looking at the greater picture there was nothing to complain about. An important thing to remember when going on a climb is that the trip is the walk and/or climb, not the summit. The summit should be considered a bonus, not the goal. If you consider the summit being the all-compassing goal you ultimately risk getting hit by summit fever and willing to ignore even basic orders and safety rules in an attempt to reach the summit. Obviously, that didn’t happen to me on this trip (and I have yet to see anyone, either. With that said, it is likely more common on the higher climbs where you have spent weeks and months on getting where you start the summit push). It is no secret that I go on these climbs to reach the summit – reaching a high camp isn’t nearly as impressive or fun as reaching the summit – but I have yet to reach the point of obsession where I don’t still adhere to simple common sense.

Lying in the tent the morning of summit day I considered it the right decision to stay behind due to my condition. I knew then it was the right decision. Now, that I have gotten it all at a slight distance I begin… doubting? Maybe. But now, was it really that bad? What would have happened if I had given myself a kick in the ass and gotten myself out and up? How far would I have gotten? Would the headache have subsided and let me break my personal altitude record (which was (still is) 6153m on Stok Kangri, 200m and change above Camp Berlin)? Would it have gotten me further? Dare I speculate – to the summit? Would it have made a difference if I had been in better shape? If I had been more dedicated with my runs? I might not have any problems handling the previous 2-week trips (and shorter), but this one, being the first longer than that, tells me that my endurance might not be as good as I thought it was. I remember my thoughts and thought processes and from that I can conclude that I was in trouble and had to stay behind. Thinking of only how I felt I doubt, but I have to stop that. I know I remember correctly how I felt, I know I made the right decision, and I have to leave it at that. I have to stop thinking too much about it and realize that it was an amazing trip, but without a summit this time.

And some might ask me, but no; I am not planning on having my revenge on the mountain within the near future. I have plenty other things and countries I want to visit, so returning to Aconcagua won’t be within the next couple of years – if ever. Also, one needs to keep in mind that due to the dryness and temperatures getting water at the camps will only get more difficult which means that soon groups will have to bring their own water, either making the trips more expensive (hiring porters) or longer (spending time carrying water to the camps, likely going back and forth a couple of times carrying all water before coming back with personal equipment etc.). So for now, Aconcagua will stand undefeated.

GODDAMMIT!

*sigh*

Such are things.

And thus ends the account of this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment