Wednesday 27 September 2017

27th – Resorting to more walking

For some reason I was feeling sore from the walking Monday and Tuesday so I decided to find a city tour bus that, according to my guide book, had greatly decreased prices if you could show them a Singapore Airline boarding pass. The tour was app. 1½ hours long and would pass through all the most important parts of the city, giving me a chance to see if I had missed anything. And as an added bonus it would give my legs a rest while still being sightseeing.

According to the guide they started at the Singapore Flyer (the city’s 165m tall Ferris wheel) so I headed off in that direction when leaving the hotel. Singapore seems to have been made with the assumption that if one can take the MRT somewhere, one will. Considering the high temperatures and humidity it’s not a bad assumption. Halfway to the Flyer I ended up in a confusing mess of malls, hotels and conference centers. It took a while to find myself through to the other side, and from there, with a bit of trial and error, I finally made it to my destination. My guidebook is from 2012 (bad timing – the new edition will be out in the beginning of 2018) and some information seemed to be slightly deprecated. It turned out that while the rebate was still there the saving was much less than I had expected which resulted in a price I wasn’t really willing to pay.

I like that the high-rises are not just big blocky buildings but try to stand out.

So instead I went across and west past Marina Bay mall and started towards Chinatown where I had a lunch consisting of delicious dumplings and beef noodles with meat so tender it fell apart when lifting it out of the soup. I considered going back up onto the roof of the Marina Bay Sands hotel but the weather was heavily overcast and while I wasn’t worried about rain I did prefer a bit of blue sky for my photos.

Wooo! .... Oh.

After lunch I wanted to check out Sentosa, an island connected by a bridge which contains golf courses, a few beaches and an area named “Resorts World”. I walked there because I wanted to see the city and not come back home and say I was underground most of the time. Remember what I mentioned about the city and walking (or rather not walking) everywhere? Combine that with a lacking ability of being able to realistically estimate how long it takes to walk an unknown distance by just looking at a map and you get two hours’ walk with Singapore’s Container Terminal on your left and West Coast Highway on your right. At least there was a sidewalk the entire way so you didn’t feel like you were going somewhere you shouldn’t despite the locations did its best to prove you otherwise.

I reached the mall located right before the bridge to Sentosa and after some searching I finally located the monorail to the island. With it being called “Resorts World” I don’t know what I expected but getting there and off the monorail you were put in the middle of a… resort, surrounded by eateries, hotels, Universal Studios (an amusement park, not the actual studio) and various other activities. The view from the waterside was mostly the cranes and whatnot of the container terminal I had passed on the way there. I spent a few hours at the aquarium (nothing new but some beautifully huge pools with ditto windows) before I returned to the mainland and took the MRT back to the hotel.

The largest pool in the aquarium.


A large cylindrical aquarium felt like a centerpiece in a large central room. 

At that point it was around 1830 and I felt absolutely smashed. So after an hour’s break I decided to go for an easy dinner so I ended up at quite a good burger bar at the street level in the hotel building. From there I continued to Raffles Hotel. Here, more than 100 years ago, Singapore’s national drink, the Singapore Sling, was invented. I thought that if I was to have it while there I’d get it from its birthplace. The drink was good, and they were generous with the alcohol, but S$36,50 good? I am not sure. For the interested, here’s the recipe; 30ml gin, 15 ml cherry brandy, 120 ml pineapple juice, 15 ml lime juice, 7.5 ml Cointreau, 7.5 ml Dom Benedictine, 10 ml Grenadine, a dash of Angostura Bitters and garnish with a slice of pineapple and cherry. A poster near the bar said something about the record of the most consumed in one night was 10 and it was by a guy not long after its birth. When arriving I thought it was because it was a strong drink, leaving I’m sure it’s because he was the only one being able to afford that many…

Raffles Hotel.

I left and continued to take the MRT downtown where I got some much wanted night shots of the MBS Hotel. I might as well go into full tourist mode now that I’m here.




Returned to the hotel, finally concluding the day at around 2330. My legs are going to hate me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment