Sunday 24 September 2017

A quick trip

So... I have been looking for a new job for a while; hitting October the 1st I will have hit my 14 month anniversary. Not really anything you want to celebrate. But... If you have finally found someone desperate enough to hire you and your employment start the 1st of October, then it is something to celebrate.

And how do you do that better than to go on a trip?

My new position was confirmed around 11th-12th of September and I didn't think much of going on a trip until I realized that until I get to save up vacation almost a year will have passed. So to try to get the travel bug out of my system I realized I had to do something about it. And fast. I have wanted for quite a while to go an see Chernobyl. but unfortunately I couldn't find a flight that fit with a 2-day tour date (and the tours needed some time to confirm a reservation and getting permits to go into the zone, so a less than 2 weeks notice was bit too late). At this point I realized that if I was to go anywhere it would have to be a city visit (similar to my trip to New York) and somewhere I hadn't been before. So before long my decision fell on Singapore.

Obviously.

So I quickly decided to depart the 21st... *record scratch*

Haha. As if. Nope. Not so fast. I was amazed to realize that I had a really hard time making up my mind. Should I go or stay home? Yes? No? Maybe? No! Totally yes! I wanted to go somewhere but part of me felt that going to Singapore was more a "lacking any better option" than "I really want to go!". At one point I was ready to make reservations and leave, and when sitting looking at flights I was.... meh. 

I had finally made up my mind; I chose not to go, simply because I didn't feel like I could justify going with all that doubt in my mind. And then I really started stressing out. I couldn't understand why I didn't want to go - it went against every single part of my instincts. I was afraid I'd be bored in the city, and yet it was a place I had never been before and everything told me it would be fun. I didn't have the same connection to it as with New York and yet they are both big cities with plenty to do - and I never got bored in NYC. And with work coming up in a week's time time was running out. Fast.

So tonight I said fuckit and got a flight out to Singapore. I have never bought a trip before less than 12 hours before departure and with all the stress I have been though the last couple of days I hope I'll never do it again, either. But to make it better; the moment I confirmed my booking I felt much more relaxed than I had felt the last couple of days. 

24th – 25th of September
Flight to Singapore. Got a direct flight, leaving Copenhagen mid-day, arriving early morning giving me the entire day in Singapore.

25th – 29th of September
Wandering Singapore, doing.... touristy stuff. 

29th – 30th of September 
Leaving Singapore near midnight (so I get almost the entire Friday in the city) and arriving in Copenhagen early Saturday morning.

So.. let's see how this will go. When I decided not to go (before I regretted and started booking anyway...) I told myself it was the right thing to do, even if I might end up regretting it. But in the end I would rather regret going than regretting not going. I have high hopes and just need to push my doubts away.

No comments:

Post a Comment