Friday 31 August 2018

31st of August – 2nd of September – Being foxy

As my office is closer to the airport than home is and I was leaving on a Friday early evening I decided to grab all my stuff and take it with me to work. After work I jumped onto a train, went to the airport, checked in my bags, went through security, spent time in the crowded lounge (though free food and wine makes everything better) and departed 30-45 minutes delayed.

Having originally a 1½ hours layover in Oslo the delay wasn’t that big an issue, but arriving I realized that my next flight was delayed half an hour, turning it into a complete non-issue. A short visit to the lounge (amazing brownies!) I went to the gate where I met 3 from my previous Antarctica trip, a girlfriend and this tour’s official photographer who I knew from my first Arctic tour.

As the flights was originally supposed to arrive in Longyearbyen at 0040 the delay meant that I didn’t get to the hotel until around 0230. On the Saturday I had a tour with focus on photography starting at 1000 so I went straight to bed. After 5 hours of sleep I crawled out of bed, sorted by stuff and repacked a bit before having breakfast, checking out and getting picked up for the day’s tour.

The weather was grey and dull with the occasional drizzle to light rain (which was better than the 80% that had been forecast). We got to see some viewpoints in and around town, and a few places where there were good chances of bird sightings. We also went past the see vault (which is being restored due to melting permafrost preventing us getting close) and the fire department’s plane training location. Having it close to the airport means that the first sight of some arriving tourists would be what looks like a plane in flames, and adding to that a nearby shooting range first impression would be very interesting). We ended up in Bjørndalen where we had great view of the valley before returning to town, seeing an arctic fox on the way and ending at the hotel at 1600 sharp.

Purple sandpipers.

Arctic tern.

Bjørndalen.

Arctic fox.

I grabbed my stuff, checked into my next hotel and went for a walk where I bumped into the photographer (who, after 30 hours of travelling from San Francisco passed out for 12+ hours when reaching the hotel) and we quickly decided to go and grab some dinner together. I had a short walk afterwards, passed by the shit that at that point had arrived at port, realised that there was no chance of any good sunset tonight and retired to the hotel. An hour later around 2330 I passed out for the day.

The alarm went off at 0900, I grabbed a quick breakfast before checking out and handing my luggage over to the ship’s crew. I went for a short walk, tried to shoot some birds but despite the weather being better than yesterday there wasn’t much going on. I ended up in the North Pole Expedition Museum which turned out to be quite interesting but with a lot of dry text, before finding a place for lunch. I found a café where I had their chili con carne which was closer to “carne con slightly undercooked beans, no chili but otherwise not bad”, washed down with a delicious semi-large soft vanilla bun.

Wandered about a bit after that, found to my disappointment that the photo gallery was closed, and finally got onto the bus, drove to the ship, checked in and found my cabin (back in 327!).

During the guides’ presentation one asked for any repeat customers to raise their hands. Normally they have 10-20 on a tour doing so but this time at least ¾ of the passengers who put them up. The usual safety briefings and welcomes were performed and dinner was served – reminding me why I was so fond of the food here. It was delicious. During dinner the Expedition Leader came over to say hi to us (we who met at Oslo airport) – apparently she remembered us from the Antarctic trip.

The rest of the evening was calm. We were anchored just outside the harbour due to inspections but at midnight on the spot the engines picked up and we left to go north for tomorrow’s program, effectively starting the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment