Saturday 22 June 2019

22nd – 23rd – Midnight non-Sun Marathon

Being called the Midnight Sun Marathon the marathon wouldn’t be started until 2030, and the half marathon would be started 2 hours later, at 2230. The marathon’s first half would be crossing the bridge towards the Arctic Cathedral and then run south along the water before returning the same way, passing the bridge and circling around before returning across the bridge, circling around the starting area and starting on the second half of the run. The second half would go south along the coast of the island, reaching the south point and continuing north on the opposite side, reaching up along the airport, circling around and returning from where we came and finishing in the starting – now finishing – area. 

The view from the hotel room shortly before the start. Not the most promising.

At the starting line the weather was less than promising. It wasn’t raining, but it was heavily overcast. This resulted in the comment during the welcome speech “We invited you all for the midnight sun marathon, but it seems you’ll be running the midnight cloud marathon instead”. But without much further ado we were off, and we were soon across the bridge and on our way.

At around 10-15km. Still feeling optimistic.
Photo taken by the organizers.

Despite the height of the bridge it wasn’t too bad crossing it – I am assuming that part of that was due to its length making the incline less horrific than it could have been. The weather kept dry in the beginning and with the temperature around 10-12°C it could have been far worse. Returning across the bridge we started the second half of the run, at a time that I was happy with. I wasn’t going to break my PR on the distance but it didn’t look to bad, either. A couple of kilometres after the halfway point we started getting passed by the many – many – half marathon runners who had just been started and now were fresh and energetic, ready for their shorter run. It was tough puffing away and then suddenly being passed by hordes of very non-tired people. It also started raining, so that didn’t help. It wasn’t a very heavy rain, but rather a light rain but it was constant so it didn’t take long before we were soaked. And with 15km to go it got a lot worse; slowing down to get something to drink and a snack at a water station I realized I couldn’t get myself back running again. No matter how much I tried forcing myself, I had to face the realization that I had to walk. And walk I did – with the exception of a couple of km I actually managed to run slowly, I ended up walking the rest of the way. Soaked, getting constantly passed by the faster half marathoners (and marathoners, for that matter), frustrated with not being able to run and towards the end absolutely shivering from the cold I was not in a good place.

Crossing the finishline I was not in a good place.
Photo taken by the organizers.

This meant that I finished in an unimpressive time of 4:48:24, 59/72 in my class (male 35-39 – the slowest Dane in the class by 50 minutes, 13/14 of all Danes), 561/855 of men, 576/1022 in total. Fastest runner did it in 2:20:32, fastest woman did it in 2:50:50. 244 never showed up for the start, 36 didn’t finish and 1 was disqualified. The last finisher was at 7:10:44. 6 runners spent more than 6 hours.

If I hadn’t been freezing as much as I was when crossing the finish line, I would have been seething from the disappointment from my performance, but I got some hot to drink (the woman passing me the cup took a step back with an “oh my GOD!” when she saw how I lost half of the contents of the cup from shaking), grabbed my stuff from the bag storage and returned to my hotel, which fortunately was close by. I got rid of my clothes and took a much needed very hot shower which made me feel almost warm again, sat down on the bed and took a few seconds trying to get at least some of all my frustration, anger, disappointment and f#%)&(“ out of the system. Feeling slightly better – but not too much – I went to sleep, relieved that breakfast would be served until 1100 on the Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment