Monday 3 June 2019

3rd of June – Returning home sore

When waking up I got my stuff in order and checked out before going down to a local café where I had breakfast (because, let’s be honest, the breakfast at the hotel was quite unimpressive). Unfortunately the café didn’t sell their famous sandwiches until after my airport pickup arrived, so I settled with a bun, hot chocolate and a cake. And another cake (that rhubarb cheesecake was as delicious as it looked). 

Walking among the buildings of Tinganes in Tórshavn.

Common eider found in the harbour.

Tern.

Leaving I returned to the hotel, waited a few minutes before getting picked up and drove the short way to the airport. A quick process of handing off my bag and getting through security, and I found myself in a small waiting area with a café on one side and tax free on the other, and a seating area that had been filled up. When arriving you could barely see the runway due to mist, but the weather improved slowly. Getting closer to departure I started getting nervous as it didn’t look promising to me, but suddenly the plane popped up during landing and with only half an hour’s delay we pulled away from the gate and were off without any more hiccups.

And that was that: a lot of exercise and the chance to see puffins and gannets up close made this trip pretty damn great. And it helps ignoring the not very optimal weather when I was there – but then again; the Faroe Islands isn’t really known for being a destination with amazing weather being as exposed as it is. But I’d love to be able to return some day to see more of Mykines but also see more parts of the islands.

Full album can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment