Thursday 13 June 2019

Northern Norway

So, since having completed the Copenhagen and Tórshavn marathons, with only two weeks in between and being my first marathons, I have two more planned, the one in Berlin and New York later this year. I have been looking for another marathon some time around July so keep me going, but it seems as if there isn't much to chose among (and even if you are willing to fly and travel far there aren't many choices, and my finances are not up for that right now). August they start popping up again, but it seemed like I would have to wait until then. The only relatively easily accessible run in July is in Zermatt, Switzerland, and while that would be a nice run, it starts at 1100m and ends in 2500m. So just a bit too much for me.

And of course as an alternative I could do one in the end of June, but that would be crazy this soon after two other marathons, right?

Right??!

20th - 23rd of June
After work I'll leave for the airport and fly north into Norway to Tromsø (which is at around 69th degree). I found out that they have a marathon this weekend with a special twist: it doesn't start until 20:30, giving it the name Midnight Sun Marathon. Yup - as it's bright all 24 hours of the day they have put a marathon over midnight between Saturday and Sunday just because they can. So another of these runs (people apparently do this voluntarily?) and after a morning on Sunday I grab a flight back home. 

I think it's going to be a very nice run, it's quite beautiful there, and while it isn't quite as flat as in Copenhagen it's still a far cry from what I experienced on the Faroe Islands. We'll be crossing the main bridge in Tromsø twice which is around 50m tall, but otherwise we'll be staying between 2 and 20 meters with little variation along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment