Monday 11 October 2021

11th – Going home

I was planning on sleeping in today and skipping breakfast at the hotel to grab lunch somewhere in Leiden instead. A few minutes past 10, the time the breakfast is served until, I got a call to my room from the reception making sure that I didn’t want breakfast as they hadn’t seen me during the morning. Never had that happen to me before (granted, I don’t skip breakfast at hotels very often, either) but that was a quirky bit of unexpected service.

I had a gentle walk around on sore legs, took a canal tour to rest my legs, grabbed some lunch and walked a bit more. It wasn’t very inconvenient that my flight wasn’t until early evening, but it was either that or in the morning, and I preferred sleeping in. 


Grabbing the train to the airport I went through security and found out that the lounge was closed so I couldn’t even sit there and relax while I waited – that was not what I had hoped for. So I camped at a café near the gate before finally being able to board and return home. The flight ended up getting delayed maybe half an hour which meant that I didn’t arrive home until midnight. Bah.

Leiden is very proud of being the birthplace of Rembrandt.

Overall it was a great trip, and feeling of that helped along by what I consider a successful run on the Sunday. I also really enjoyed it being out of season and people not really travelling as much yet as before which meant that there was plenty of room to just be yourself at the museums I ended up visiting. Made the entire thing so much more pleasant. And I'll be honest; I might prefer having my own photos filling my walls, but if I'd somehow get my hands on a Rembrandt I would definitely make room for it, even if it required me to sacrifice a few photos.

Full album from the trip can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment