Friday 22 October 2021

22nd – 23rd – Getting lost in Valencia

First thing when I left the hotel Friday morning was to pick up my goodie bag and bib number for the run on Sunday. It was (together with the start and finish lines) conveniently located 20 minutes’ walk from the hotel in a straight line, in the middle of the large university campus. There was barely anyone else when I was there so I was quickly done collecting my bag and contents.

From there I walked more or less west until I was straight north of the old part of the city which I entered and spent a few hours walking around in and taking in the sights. It is probably the most inconveniently confusing city I have been in as there were a lot of very narrow streets and odd angles in every single intersection – and add to that tall buildings, that might not have been much taller than maybe 4-5 stories tall, but so close across from each other along the streets they at times felt almost oppressive.


The hotel’s receptionist had suggested to go take a look at the city’s cathedral and city hall. The city hall had a free entrance so it felt very uncommitting to have a walk around inside which was a relief as it was pouring down at the time. The cathedral looked impressive from the outside but less so inside – and outside the entire plaza in front was torn up and being renovated which soured the view quite a bit.

The rear corner of the cathedral (center).

City Hall.


I had also been recommended a market – the market itself was relative ordinary (and a fair bit of the booths were empty) and what one would expect from such a market in a city. But the building it was located in was definitely worth the walk around inside. And as an added bonus it kept me out of the rain.

Market.


After wandering around for a bit and getting genuinely lost a few times I managed to navigate myself out of the old part of the city, find my bearings and return to the hotel.


The following day I instead went East ward to the beach where I had a walk up and down along the walk ways before zig-zagging my way back to the hotel. The forecast had said clear sky and 22-23 degrees. True, it was 22-23 degrees, but at best in the shade. In the sun, which there was plenty of, according to various thermometers it was 30 degrees. Nice weather, would have been nicer if I had been prepared for those temperatures and actually packed a pair of shorts.

The beach in Valencia.


Dinners was a classic paella and a large chunk of lasagna (not on the same night). Both were delicious. Paellas don’t come in servings for one, and while I didn’t eat the entire thing there was definitely not enough for two which it was meant for. Or maybe it just says more about my ability to eat without any portion control. 

No, definitely not that.

No comments:

Post a Comment