Tuesday 2 April 2019

Return to the city that never sleeps

I hadn’t planned on returning to the US anytime soon, mostly because of my trip to Iran in 2017. Because of that trip I won’t be able to apply for an easy ESTA, but instead I need to go through the lengthy process of getting a visa. The something popped up that I couldn’t keep my hands off of, and I booked a trip back to New York. I am weak.

I have fun memories of New York, and while I probably won’t have much time to spare when returning it’ll still be fun to get back there and experience it all over again.

31st of October – 2nd of November
Flight to New York and arriving the afternoon of the same day of departure giving two full days to prepare. I’ve booked a spot on one of the course tours where we get to see the route we will be going, and hoping to join the breakfast run on the 2nd in the morning. That will give two afternoons where I can bumble around as I please.

3rd of November
Race day for New York marathon. It’s regarded as the world’s biggest marathon with more than 50.000 runners each year. Starting in Staten Island it will start crossing the bridge into Brooklyn, going north up through Queens before crossing over onto Manhattan, turning north again up to The Bronx before u-turning back south into Central Park. The day, hopefully after a successful completion of the race, will be concluded with a dinner cruise.

4th – 6th of November
The Monday the 4th will be spent on a bus tour south to Washington DC where we get to see all the must-sees in the US capitol before returning to New York in the evening. Fly home the next day in the late afternoon and come home the following morning.

This will be the fourth marathon I have planned for this year, and not having run anything like that before I am beginning to question my sanity. In any case I think it will be a great experience and New York always have something that’s worth seeing (or eating).

No comments:

Post a Comment