Saturday 11 September 2010

11th - Easy rider

Today was an interesting day. A friend who had been here previously set me up with Abraham, a local guy, who showed me around in Moshi and surroundings. He started off by show me a local business that recycled metal (roof plates, oil cans etc.) into bowls. After this we went out outside Moshi to check out the tallest waterfall in Tanzania. It's not mentioned many places and apparently not all tour guides know it. I assume it's because it's hard to reach - a walk of app. ½ hour on a very narrow path with not much room to spare if you stepped too far to one side. But when we arrived it was worth the walk - it was beautiful and was very tranquil, too (except for the noise, off cause).


We didn't walk all the way; to get from the center of the town we got hold of a couple of bikes and drivers - these are all over the place and function as cheap taxis. Coming from Denmark with all the rules about how you need to dress to be allowed to drive a bike, this felt crazy. You just sat down in the passenger seat, and off we went. And considering how people drive it's amazing that not more accidents happen. Not being used to the concept, you need a certain level of disregard of danger. I don't know if I felt terrified or extremely entertained when the trip was finally over. According to law here, only íf the driver doesn't wear helmet/seat belt, the police will fine him. Think about that for a moment.

When we went home we took one of the busses. Also here it doesn't quite work as at home; Abraham insisted that we sat on the front seats, and after the first few stops I understood why; they don't stop coming into the bus just because there are as many passengers as seats. Think human tetris and you get the idea.

We finished the day with some African Saussage. Yeah, yeah - stop the giggling. There is a small café in Moshi that makes some great saussages. Dipped in chili sauce it was a great final to a just a great day.

Came back to Springlands hotel we had the introductory meeting with the group, the trip manager and the tour guide. When I say "we" and "the group", I mean "me", as the rest won't show up until tonight. We will only be four people (tourists) in the group in total, so the group will be small and managable. The meeting didn't tell me much I didn't already know; the guide made sure I had the right equipment, and the manager listed the times we have to keep an eye on tomorrow morning before we leave. Breakfast, checkout etc. As the climb starts tomorrow, it will be a whole until I can write here again.

Abraham is a very pleasent guy. If anyone plans to come by Moshi some day, let me know, and I can hook you up with him. He'll give you a tour of the town and surroundings, but basically it's up to you and what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment