Monday 13 September 2010

13th - Kili day 2

Machame Camp (3000 m) – Shira Camp (3800 m)
Moorland

Ice. Frost. That was the first thing that met my eye when I exited my tent in the morning. Frost everywhere – no wonder I felt so cold when I crawled out from my sleeping bag,

After freezing all my limbs off (luckily they grew out again afterwards!) because of all my now cold clothes, we packed up and continued our trek. Due to the cold the air was crystal clear, and the top of Kili was now visible in the clean air. Despite the chill it was a very nice morning.

One of the porters looks like Morgan Freeman. Glenna argued and thought he more looked like Nelson Mandela, until she realized her image of Mandela was from the movie where Freeman played him.

At around 0830 we left the camp, and I was nervous the cold would keep its hold on us. But as the sun rose and got a grip it got warmer, and we could get rid of the outer layers of our clothing.

The condition yesterday was a wet and slippery dirt path (we were in the rainforest, after all), and today it had turned into moorland with rocks and dust. A lot of dust, and no rain. If something hadn’t been sealed in a air tight container, it would get dirty, no exception. The only thing that affected me was the dust getting in my airways; I didn’t seem to be affected so much by the altitude and thinner air. Not enough to notice, at least. My resting pulse doesn’t even seem to have changed, so I am beginning to have hopes for a successful climb. But the trek is only getting harder. Much harder.

It was pretty steep today; 700 meters was ascended in half the distance of yesterday. The first half was difficult; at times people less than 10 steps ahead would have their feet at the same level as my head, which didn’t really help the “dust into the airways”-issue.

Second half was much less steep, but on the other hand there were times where a single step too far to the left would result in a plummeting and sudden death.

We got some good views of the smaller mountain Meru in the distance. Clouds covered most of the land below us, and it was quite a strange feeling being above the clouds without sitting in a plane.

Every time I blow my nose the result is black.

The camp today is a big open area with a beautiful view of big fluffy clouds and Meru. I can still see the top of Kili. The closer we get the scarier it looks. Despite the open free space there isn’t much wind, and it’s quite warm. Let me correct; was quite warm. The second the sun disappeared it got really cold, and the clouds begun climbing up onto the plateau. I expect it’ll get below freezing again, if it hasn’t already.

I’ve put all the clothes I’m going to wear tomorrow with me in my sleeping bag. Pre-heated clothes are going to be great on a freezing morning. It’s already getting nice and warm.

Tomorrow will be used for acclimatization. We will ascend up to 4600 meters before going down again to only 180 meters above where we are today.

I will need my sleep.

Our guide's name is Temba. Apparently, in Swahili a elephant is tembo. Better be careful with pronunciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment