Monday 15 April 2019

15th of April – Off east

While I could have gotten a direct flight to Vilnius it would have meant to take an early departure. Instead I decided on a later one and accepting a layover in Stockholm on an otherwise fairly short flight, giving me time for a more comfortable morning.

The flight went as expected with no problems on the way. But what will likely turn out to be the most memorable event of the trip happened when waiting at the gate in Stockholm: a girl was sitting eating an avocado. In itself not weird, but she was eating it as if it was an apple. Not peeled and just munching away. It was… spectacular.

We arrived in Vilnius on time, and 15 minutes after deplaning I was sitting on the train on the way to the city centre, and less than half an hour after that I had checked into my hotel. The advantages of traveling with only a carry-on and having the airport located close to the city. One of the things I noticed was when looking from outside, the airport building didn’t look much bigger than the building at the main train station.

The Dawn Gate from outside the old town.

The Dawn Gate from inside the old town.
  
Having checked in and settled in I went for a walk around 1830 to get my bearings. The Dawn Gate is just around the corner from the hotel and form there I passed by the City Hall Square before going up to the lookout point at Gediminas Castle Tower where you could see half of the old town (the other direction blocked by renovations) and parts of the new town, too. Coming back down escaping the cold winds I wandered about for a bit, bringing me past the university before arriving at a restaurant a stone’s toss from the Dawn Gate. “Fresh potato dumplings with beef” turned out to be the equivalent to short thick beef sausages wrapped in a thick layer of dense potato dumpling mash. Needless to say, it was heavy. And you got two of them.

Well... Ok, then?

The restaurant.

Rolling back to the hotel I arrived around 2200 where I settled in for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment