Friday 23 October 2009

23rd - Sand

Driving from Surfers Paradise was hell; as they were readying for the Nikon GPRace in the streets it was difficult finding that one road that would lead me out and north. It took me a couple of attempts, but finally I was on my way to Brisbane.

Arriving Ditte took me out and showed me around in the city. Brisbane is not a city for tourists, so it didn’t really matter that we only spent the one half day to walk around. The next two days, Wednesday and Thursday, would be spent on Fraser Island, the two of us and Ditte’s boyfriend, Klaus. We left early (early as before 0400) to make it to River Head to get the ferry to the Island.

Fraser Island is the world’s largest sand island. That means that all roads are sand. And due to the dry weather lately the sand was very dry and soft. So, as our guide and driver said, the ride would be a little rough. I have never been happier for a seatbelt.

Only 4x4s are allowed to the island due to these conditions. But there are no rules to how much experience is needed to drive on the island. In this case a lot of experience was needed to drive in these conditions, something several people realized when we were there. Our guide at one point called them “these inexperienced drivers”, with a short but very noticeable pause before “inexperienced”, saying that it was the nicest he could call them, but thought something else completely.

Oh, well… I will let the photos tell the story. They will be posted in the next couple of posts (and in not so large versions as I usually do) due to blogger's limits when it comes to photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment